George Carpenter was a prosperous chandler living in a fine house in Chicago during the prominent era of sailing ships on the Great Lakes. His house was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1871, and he and his wife relocated to their summer house in Brickton, an 18-room mansion located at 20 North Northwest Highway. The Carpenters soon found a pleasant new home here, and quickly integrated into the social rhythms of our still-small community, while George maintained his business in Chicago. George Carpenter was elected our first Village President in 1873, the time when our name changed to Park Ridge. His family of four boys was raised here in and sent off to college. Carpenter spent his last years at home in Park Ridge, and is shown in an image here in the parlor of his residence from that period.