‘History on the Move’ Update

By now, you’re aware of the announcement that The Youth Campus, located at 733 N. Prospect in Park Ridge, has closed its residential complex and will consolidate operations at its Chicago office. For 104 years, The Youth Campus and its predecessor organizations, beginning with the Illinois Industrial School for Girls, have provided services for children and teens in need at its Park Ridge campus. Conceived by social activists Hannah Greenebaum Solomon and Jane Addams, the complex of “English Cottages” (designed by Holabird and Root in 1908) was an alternative to the larger buildings commonly used to house orphans. The Society respects and salutes its friends at The Youth Campus for its legacy and continued commitment to serving youths in the Chicagoland area.

The Society office is currently located in the Hannah Solomon Cottage on the grounds of The Youth Campus. For the last two years, we have made many new friends in Park Ridge through our History on the Move project, opened windows to the good stories of our history for residents, and raised funds for our ambitious plan to create the Park Ridge History Center. The Society intends to continue its mission of creating the Park Ridge History Center for preserving those stories, for display of historic artifacts and exhibits relating to our history, and to facilitate continuing research into Park Ridge history, from the earliest times to modern day. Please be assured that it will become a reality. I promise to keep you updated on our progress. Please don’t hesitate to correspond with your suggestions and comments.
Park Ridge Post Office Mural
As you read this, less than $5,000 is necessary to complete the fundraising effort for restoration of the Park Ridge Post Office mural, thanks to a matching funds program advanced by the Society on April 17. $28, 000 of the $38,000 required for mural restoration has been accumulated over the last year, and permanent inst
allation of the mural at the Park Ridge Public Library will follow restoration.
Given the six to nine months of time required for the restoration work, the Society Trustees voted to contribute $5,000 to the restoration effort, as a dollar for dollar match for new contributions, in order to insure that the restored mural would be ready for installation at the Park Ridge Public Library in time for its
centennial year celebration in 2013.
Thanks to the Mural Restoration Committee for conducting the fund-raising work through-out 2011-2012, with special thanks to Jeff Caudill, lead Committee member for the Society, for all of his efforts in promoting this project throughout Park Ridge.
Paul Adlaf


We extend our appreciation to life-long Park Ridge resident John Sasser for providing opportunities to the Society, as well as other local not-for-profit organizations, to present programs and events within the spaces of the Park Ridge Nonprofit Center (PRNC). In 2008, Mr. Sasser purchased the historic building at 720 Garden Street. At that time, it appeared that the building might be demolished to make way for a low-rise office building. Mr. Sasser has configure the interior spaces to realize his vision of a multi-tenant nonprofit center in Park Ridge, a place in town where local not-for-profit organizations find a place to call home as needed, in shared space partnerships. According to the Nonprofit Centers Network, multi-tenant nonprofit centers are buildings that house multiple organizations and provide economic, quality, mission-enhancing workspace. The Society has rented The Great Room in the PRNC recently for its Homecoming Reception in March and parlor meeting in February. More information about the PRNC can be found at its website, www.parkridgenonprofitcenter.org.

The most famous use of this building, within living memory, was as The Pantry Restaurant, during the years 1945-1966. The PRNC building was recently accorded status as a Park Ridge Landmark by the City Council, and is one of seven such sites in town.

We also thank Mr. Sasser for permitting continued display of the Society’s Bill Kobow model collection showing hand-crafted Park Ridge 1920s buildings in the Central Business District.

The June, 1948 photo here shows the detail of the north side of the original building addition designed by architect Frank McCaughey when The Pantry Restaurant relocated from Northwest Highway to 720 Garden Street. This detail was covered in a long-ago addition to the building. Note camera perspective, as this photo was recorded during construction of the new Middle States Telephone Company Building across Fairview from The Pantry.


Please come to Hodges Park on
Thursday, May 24, 2012
any time between 2 pm and 6 pm
to help us celebrate this
102nd anniversary of Dr. Buchheit’s
election as our first mayor!
Take a ‘View of History’ tour from the
perimeter of Hodges Park. The tour begins at
Butler Place & Vine and ends at the Camp Fire
Girls fountain, where visitors will receive a copy of
the Heritage Committee Fountain brochure, and
souvenirs of our first mayoral election day 102
years ago. Photos and artifacts from
Dr. Buchheit’s era will also be on display.


On a warm and balmy June afternoon in 1971, ten community members signed the founding charter for the Park Ridge Historical Society. Months later, in October, 1971, over 345 individuals came to the Mary Wilson House and signed on in support of the founding of the Society.
To honor and salute their legacy nearly 41 years later, the Park Ridge Historical Society sponsored a Members-Only event on Sunday, March 18, 2012 at the Park Ridge Nonprofit Center, formerly the Pantry Restaurant. In addition to current members, 35 of the original members still reside in Park Ridge and were invited to attend as special guests. Of these, the following were able to attend and were honored:
Peter Malone, one of the ten
residents who incorporated
the Society, and his wife, Betty
Ralph Bishop
Madeleine Brennan
Raymond Figlewicz
Jeanne Hansen
Amy Hansen
Otto Kohler
William & Marcia Larson
Milton Nelson
Bill & Barbara Scharringhausen
Ann Scheller
Jacqueline Steigerwald
Herb & Barbara Zuegel
Edith Kooyumjian and Jackie Steigerwald review 1971 log sheets at Homecoming Reception
On a delightfully warm and balmy afternoon remarkably reminiscent of that long-ago June day, approximately 60 guests enjoyed light refreshments and champagne at the Society’s “Homecoming” Reception. Violin music provided by Society member Frances Johnson and two of her students, Zechariah Pappageorge and Michael Kornely, both 5th grade students at Washington Elementary School in Park Ridge, enhanced the enjoyment of the event. On display were various Park Ridge artifacts, including the original ten pages of log sheets signed by the Society’s supporters in October, 1971, and a photographic and journalistic history of the Society’s previous homes. Society President Paul Adlaf thanked everyone for their continued support and briefly summarized the Society’s recent move to its new home , the Hannah Solomon Cottage on the grounds of The Youth Campus. Guests were given a preview of the Society’s vision for the future Park Ridge History Center.
The Society thanks two of its newest Members for their support of the Reception:Dave and Pete Donovan for generously underwriting the refreshments served.
Also, Dave Chare for his professional photography services.


At the end of the Second World War, the population of Park Ridge was less than 15,000 residents. During the next 25 years, over 25,000 residents were added to our community. This growth was primarily a result of large areas annexed into Park Ridge and the subdivision of these lands into building lots. Roughly 6,000 single family homes were constructed during this period (As a point of reference, there are presently 10,000 single family houses in Park Ridge). Most of these homes were constructed in large subdivisions by large residential developers, such as McDonalds and MichaelJohn Terrace
. Many homes were also built by general contractors on scattered lots in Park Ridge. The exceptions to these practices were the wonderful homes designed for individual clients by residential architects. One of these architects was Louis Huebner.

Mr. Huebner’s first residence (his own) built in 1950 and located on Wesley Avenue
Mr. Huebner designed houses in Park Ridge for almost 30 years; his first house in 1950 and the last in 1979. He began his architecture practice in the late 1940s after graduating from the University of Illinois School of Architecture in 1947. While the focus of his practice was single family residences, he also worked on commercial
and church buildings. Most of his houses were in the northern Chicago suburbs, but he also designed houses in other states. Mr. Huebner died in 1995, having lived most of his life in Park Ridge.

In some circles he was probably as well known for his paintings as he was for architecture. Mr. Huebner’s hobby was watercolor painting, and he was an exhibitor at the Park Ridge Art Fair every June with his booth located on Courtland Avenue near the corner of Prospect Avenue. The subjects for his painting were diverse, including rural settings, covered bridges, barns, colorful prints of the southern United States and Park Ridge landmarks. Mr. Huebner’s Park Ridge houses can be divided into two periods. The first period was the 1950s, with relatively modest homes, and the second primarily in the 1960s, when he was in partnership with James Henneberg. The later houses tended to be larger and more diverse in their design. In all Mr. Huebner designed fourteen single family residences in Park Ridge. His first five houses are located west of Dee Road, near Sibley Avenue.

Mr. Huebner’s first residence was his own, built in 1950 and located on Wesley Avenue (pictured). The remaining four were completed in the early part of the decade. All of these homes were modest by today’s standards–1,000 to 1,500 square feet in area. They were one story in height and had flat or shallow sloping roofs, a carport or one car garage, primarily sided with wood and tended to have large windows in the front and back. One of these residences was demolished during the “tear down” period of several years ago and another has been substantially remodeled. In 1959, Mr. Huebner designed a second home for himself. This one was located on Prairie Ave-nue (pictured): a distinctively modern house with a curving roof line and flat roof over the garage and master bedroom. This began his second body of work in Park Ridge, which includes an additional eight houses, of which all but one were designed in partnership with James Henneberg. For the most part these houses are located in the southwest section of Park Ridge – south of Touhy Avenue and west of Greenwood Avenue. The architecture of these homes includes a red brick Georgian, an English Tudor, an Asian influenced style, a modern design on Park Lake and several which contained traditional forms with decidedly modern interpretations. For the most part those residences were larger in size (generally more than 2,500 square feet) and were two stories in height. All but one had two car garages, with at least one that had a three car garage. In addition to these single family residences, Mr. Huebner did several additions to existing homes.

Louis Huebner’s early works fall into the broad category of “mid-century” modern. They were modest structures: one story with generally flat roofs. They were delightful alternatives to the “tract housing” that was primarily being built at this time. His later works were more diverse in style and
considerably larger. Mr.Huebner’s residences added some visual interest to the Park Ridge streetscape. With one of his early houses already demolished to make way for a larger one, consideration should be given to the preservation of some of the remaining examples of Mr. Huebner’s work.

The Society thanks Member Randy Derifield for contributing this reflection on Louis Huebner’s legacy in Park Ridge


The Society is grateful to the many individuals who supported our first-ever 2011-2012 Annual Appeal. We extend our deepest thanks to you, and are proud to list your names here.
Pat & Paul Adlaf
Nat Barnard
Rick & Gail Benedetto
Ralph Bishop
Anita Bloom
Frances M. Bond
Helen Borows
Madeleine M. Brennan
Alyce Brunke
Jeffrey & Donna Caudill
Rosemary Cordes
Robert & Barbara Christopher
Maureen Connelly
Rosemary Cordes
Jill K. Crooker
Wally Cwik
Conni & Randall Derifield
Michael T. Dolan
Lorraine B. Domaratius
David & Judy Donovan
Jane P. Downton
Beverly Ellstrand
Dorothy Flannery
Marion Friel
John & Liz Gavin
Fred & Nancy Gillick
Jim and Carol Gonzalez
Mortimer & Susan Huber
Janet & Don Hoeg
Catherine Jarzombek
Leonard Johnson
Robert Kaderabek
Frank Kaminski
Marilyn R. Drury Katillo
Joe & Mary Kelly
Jerry & Dee Kenney
Kate & John Kerin
Brian Kidd
Philip & Janet Kralovec
Lee Logeman
Kirke Machon
Valerie McCarrick
Richard & LaVerne Messersmith
Max C. Mielecki
Kenneth Mylander & Nancy Pytel
Paul Nebenzahl
Milton Nelson
Margaret T. Nicosia
Millie O’Brien
Ruth Olson
Sharon Porterfield
Felicia A. Reilly
Rosemary Sajovic
Norman & Jean Schaetzlein
Jim & Mary Schurder
Cathy Sell
Mary Sleger & John Murphy
Kathleen A. Slezak
Jim & Lu Trecker
Steven & Kay Wyatt
Deborah & Thomas Zima

View April 2012 Lamppost Newsletter